Tuesday, June 14, 2011

On Second Thought...

I want to share and get these thoughts out on "paper" before I forget yet again. :) I've been thinking that I might have been a little too rash in my blog titled "Anything is possible if a person believes." I most definitely have the same drive inside me, but I've since tweaked my game plan a little bit.

I'm choosing to stick it out with the steady paycheck for a bit longer than I at first decided. Mostly, I want to get myself to a position where I feel a bit more comfortable before I jump into the completely unsteady territory of having my own business. So, here are my new plans:

* My Care Credit balance will be paid off before the end of the year, and hopefully sooner than that. The past few months I've been paying what I can over the minimum to get it down faster, and so I really think it's possible it'll be done by August or September. But regardless, it will be paid off by December, and able to be a medical backup should something bad happen.

* I have a few things I want to buy before I'm on my own, and a few things to get started. I've even got a general idea of when I want to have these things by, though only God knows if it'll actually happen when I want or if my goals are a little too high. At least I've got a goal to aim for. :)
I want to get a new portable hard drive to keep with me and have my photography library on (then the larger drive I'm using now and our other, older portable can be backups and kept somewhere separate so my photos are safer). Goal - get this by the end of the year.
I want a new computer for myself (my work is trying to get me something to use at home until then, but even that will take awhile, and I really need something all my own and reliable to work from). Goal - get this by the end of 2012.
I want to save up enough money to cover at least 3 months worth of bills before I'm all on my own (3 months isn't a ridiculously long time, but at least then I'll have a little less to worry about while I'm adjusting). Goal - start saving more after we move, and keep saving as much as I can until I leave.
I want a new car. My current car gets me from place to place, and it's nice that it's paid off so I don't have a car payment right now...but the ac simply can't keep up with this Texas heat, and it was used when I got it and I'm hard on my cars...so it's healthy but pretty worn in. lol And I've had my heart set on a new VW for a long time. Lots of the ones I'd like wouldn't be too hard to fit into my budget either, especially after we move and Jon can get more firmly settled financially somewhere. Goal - get this before summer of 2012.

* I also would like some more photography gear if possible before I start my own business...I know there's at least one or two lenses I would like to get, plus I'd like to make sure that all my current equipment is still functioning well and won't need to be replaced. The longer and harder I work here, the more I feel I pay off the equipment they've already bought me anyways. If I can at least get one lens before I leave, I'll be happy.

* My other plan is to start doing some photography on the side after we move at the end of July - I'm hoping I can start in either August or September. I'll be starting with my child and pet photography, since I already feel that I've got a good handle on that side of my photography and a lot of the ones I want to shoot are getting older all the time! lol I'm going to take the time to set up my own brand name for it and have a little site set up to share on, and I'm going to start pretty reasonably priced - just enough mostly to cover my expenses to get there and the process of shooting and processing the photos afterwards. This will give me a little extra money each month (hopefully) to start saving and using for the items I mentioned above, and also get my portfolio and some client relations started, and ease me into interacting with clients and the like there, a chance to figure out what works and what doesn't on a reasonably low key scale before I go full hog on it. It's going to mean a lot more work from me, but it's work that I truly enjoy doing, so I don't think I'm going to mind. I will have to have a computer at home before I can start, so somehow I'm going to have that figured out by then, at least something temporary since my photos always stay on my own hard drive. But I think if I hold off on this too much longer, I'm going to miss some great chances and hurt myself more than help myself. I will find a way to make it work and get it started. :)

So...yeah. lol Sounds like a lot, huh? Yet it's really just day to day life, simply making myself be better about saving and spending wisely to advance where I want to be and what I want to do. I'm excited to see where this road is taking me...I definitely feel good about it, even though I know I'm going to struggle some, even though I know that it may not happen right when I'd like it to. The process feels right, and I have to follow it to the end. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment